advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Really interesting thread ! I am an ex Nytech owner, now Ion Obelisk. This is a rather stupid question, but I have picked up an ION FMT 1 tuner and can't see how you record the three presets. Press two buttons at the same time maybe ? I don't want to experiment too much. Can anyone help me ?

Does anybody have the curcuit diagram of a Nytech CXA252 available?

I want to use only the crossover from the CXA252 ....

Maybe there are some tips or experiences how to do it....

Thanks & Regards from Germany

Ingo

Any of these of any interest?

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/mountainbiker3/ion10001.jpg

Those are Ion sales leaflets of the day (1991) when I bought a pair of the superb MA400s

Just came across this post.. Yes I'm an Ion Obelisk fan...!!!

I started my real HiFi life with an upgrade from a NAD 3130 to an Obelisk 2 amplifier which saw me through University's and to my first job when I got into naim kit... I also bought it for £245 and those brochures and documents I had with my 2 so it brings back memories...

I suppose I always liked Ion kit though because when one came up... later I managed to get my hands on a 3X-XPAC1 and then later a 3... and have a cobbled X-Pac1 which I always had plans to use in an active system in my second system (the main is active250's SBL's)...

the 3X/Xpac1 was powering my IBL's for years in my bedroom system fed by my AAA5 but started to play up and is currently being looked at, and the 3 is in everyday service currently and the cobbled Xpac is being turned back to an X-Pac so... maybe some day soon I will convert the 3 to a 3X and then have a pair of 3X-Xpac1's... I do have a spare NAXO2-4 so could activate my Naim IBL's possibly :) this has been a plan for ages...

John

if you want to give the active filter a try you can do a lot worse than a behringer cx2310. just set the cross over for the arcs and off you go.

Are the poweramps in the arcs?

alternatively make a cross over.

Edinburgh Wireless Co
based preset tuner!!

I have a faulty Nytech
CTA252XD2. :(

Paid £25:00 :)

The usual fault with
Nytechs, dry joints,
the occasional loud
crack is the tell tale
sign of this common
fault.

Remedy, re-flow the
solder connections
across the boards.

I vaguely remember a crack when my 3X stopped... Fngers crossed this is the fault... It will probably get a recap at the same time if I twist the guys arm who is taking a look... He did a wonderful job of my 2 Hicaps and NAP250's they sound AMAZING NOW ...sorry not Ion ;)

John

It powered some Mordant Short MS100's for about a year before it was superseded by a 32.5/250 Naim combo.
Cheers.

Wow a blast from the past too !!! I had MS100's which were powered by said Ion Ob 2 for years until the 32.5/Snaps/140 took over... had two 140's driving them active for a while even :)

John

PS there are 2 3X/X-PAC1's on the bay of E right now one from Per F. from here.
PPS what is involved in converting a 3 to a 3X ?

time for my occasional request for ARC 050s.....anyone out there have a pair? using mission 760se active at the moment with Nytech.....sounds better than expected but probably not as good as it should

Just been told my 3X-Xpac1 are fine and it is being returned this afternoon ... So I'm :D

Will plug my AAA5 into it later and give it some tunes...

Will plug my AAA5 into it later and give it some tunes...

Wow .. forgot how good it sounds... Bedroom system Avondale Audio Arcam Alpha5+/3X-XPAC1/IBL's on dedicated ex-shower spur sounds great

It does something quite right... and has a comfy listening horizontal 'sofa' too!

That's a quality sounding second system I bet. I'm after a pair of ibbles myself - and wouldn't mind a 3x/X-Pac either!

How do you think the amps compare to your 250s?

That's a quality sounding second system I bet. I'm after a pair of ibbles myself - and wouldn't mind a 3x/X-Pac either!

How do you think the amps compare to your 250s?

Because they are not 'suppose to be' as good as 250's I've never ever compared... I'm not sure I'd want to :) I could be selling some Naim kit if I did, they really are that good. They are in different rooms and one is active and one is passive so it would be such a ball ache to move amps around I wouldn't want to... just plugging the NAPs and CAPs back in on the Fraim caused a few %^*& moments I wouldn't want to attempt the task of reverting the SBLs to passive or moving the IBLs or... I could however compare my 3rd 250 with one of the spare 72's I have and disconnect a Hicap for a bedroom compare but my wife may start to complain :)...

Some Ion Pron...

_IGP8426.jpg

_IGP8432.jpg

_IGP8433.jpg

3 pretty similar to the 3X, except a rear plug change, transformer to cap swap and a couple of components slightly upgraded...
_IGP8418.jpg

_IGP8429.jpg

3X sounding mighty fine today...

Hi, just joined up, never took part in a forum before so please excuse if I am not following the correct protocol.
I have some old gear,which has been stored for years and would like to get back to life.
I would like to start with the CTA 252 which I have had for 28 years. It works but the slider controls for volume and balance give trouble,losing volume and a channel. I have tried cleaning but this does not help.
Anybody know where I can have it repaired in UK or Ireland ? Or get parts.
I have already tried Andrews hi-fi but they cannot help.

I also have the orginal instructions booklet with circuit diagrams if anyone wants a copy.

Does anybody have the curcuit diagram of a Nytech CXA252 available?

I want to use only the crossover from the CXA252 ....

Maybe there are some tips or experiences how to do it....

Thanks & Regards from Germany

Ingo
Hi, did you get a circuit diagram? I think I have one,but it may take a few days to find it

Hi, just joined up, never took part in a forum before so please excuse if I am not following the correct protocol.
I have some old gear,which has been stored for years and would like to get back to life.
I would like to start with the CTA 252 which I have had for 28 years. It works but the slider controls for volume and balance give trouble,losing volume and a channel. I have tried cleaning but this does not help.
Anybody know where I can have it repaired in UK or Ireland ? Or get parts.
I have already tried Andrews hi-fi but they cannot help.

I also have the orginal instructions booklet with circuit diagrams if anyone wants a copy.

I have an adress in Germany who repairs my old amp's.

hi all......i have a Nytech active set up but no ARC 050s.....i currently use some old mission 760ise with the crossovers bypassed...sounds pretty good but obviously would prefer some 050s (anyone got any?).....if I cannot get any ARCs can anyone suggest some other speakers that might work with some minor bodging, what drivers did the ARCs use?

I had a Nytech CA102 which I bought from Chris Brooks Audio. I think i bought it in 1987 and it cost me £102.

Linked with Rega Planer 2 and Monitor Audio R100 the music sounded great.

My brother now has this kit and it is all still going strong.

Regards,

Elkman

advertisement

Back