advertisement

New Order Live

I saw bad lieutenant (barney and stephen plus 2 others) supporting pet shop boys about 3 years ago. Wasn't that great. Set mostly consisted of new order and joy division stuff but was pretty underwhelming and they murdered love will tear us apart.

Rusty, I've seen New Order several times over the years and they can variable. Sometimes right on it and sometimes it just wasn't happening. Of course it wouldn't be the same without Mr Hook but there's still a heck of a lot of New Order there including Steve Morris' machine drumming, which I love. I'd go, and then you'll know for yourself. I'm working, with major changes at work, otherwise I'd be there. I saw Bad lieutenant in London last year and loved it.

Saw them in 2000 here in Australia for the first time and thought they were good. They are coming out to play again next month at a large music festival here so will pop along for a listen and see how they do on the big stage....

Yeah - major tiff.

Hookie did Unknown Pleasures (and everything released before that) with other Factory musicians (part of A Certain Ratio - couple of others) on the 30th anniversary of Ian Curtis' death - in 2010. It was at his new nightclub, the old Factory offices. There were two nights there (I got to the second) and I think it was also done for a couple of nights in other places.

Required a quick re-read of Hookies book about never ever running a nightclub again.

Good night. Crapest acoustics in the world ever volume II, but nobody cared.

Nah I wouldnt bother.

New order were never a patch on Joy Division. Not a living patch.
The best thing they did was Ceremony which was a Joy Division song anyway .
Ian Curtis was the major original influence but I accept it all came together with the talents of the group.

New Order became a reasonably pleasant dance electronica act. Very little of their stuff really did it for me. Some of it was awful.
I would save your money and just get a few records (if you have everything Joy Division released)

I have pretty much everything NO put out on vinyl, including the singles, which are always a great listen, plus the Substance double CD, so don't need any more software.

Saw them early days in Brixton, one song was sooooo bad that nobody - I mean, NOBODY applauded. It was excruciating.

Just thought I'd mention, like.

On the other hand I saw NO at Birmingham Arena back in the 90s and still fondly remember it as one of the best concerts of my life. They were supported by Happy Mondays who were at the peak of their powers, post "Bummed". The Mondays were brilliant but New Order were brillianter.

Ime John Peel nailed the NO live experience with "best live band in the world when on form, & worst when not".

I'm just into triple digits seeing them play, but I was & am a rabid fan. :)
I agree NO without Hooky is difficult to grasp, but Gillian is back so the current live shows are tempting.

The show they did recently at the Batacan got a good review: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/23/new-order-review-bataclan-paris
NO are playing Bestival 2012, plus sigur rós & The XX, so looking like a very good prospect.

Anyone fancy a NO record collection bake off? :-D

I've got all the 12" singles and albums but would no longer consider seeing them live than I would trapping my cock in a door. Saw them in Hull early on and they were the worst live band I have ever seen. I don't wanna see them when they are old and missing the bass player.

I've seen old musicians do an excellent live job, so would be cautious with deployment of that criteria. :)

I saw them on this recent tour and it was a fanboy hits event. If you like NO you will like the show.

I saw them back in the 80s at Central London Poly and there was a lot more atmosphere but a less polished performance.

They have changed and so have I over the years so I couldnt say which was best.

I've got all the 12" singles and albums but would no longer consider seeing them live than I would trapping my cock in a door. Saw them in Hull early on and they were the worst live band I have ever seen. I don't wanna see them when they are old and missing the bass player.

Was that at The Tower?

I went to that one. Didn't think they were technically bad, just really tedious. They must have put some effort into though, as I remember seeing steam come off the drummer's back.

Best gig I saw there was Bahaus. Took an age for them to actually appear, with some horrid arty film instead of a support act, but then made up for it.
Andrew

On the other hand I saw NO at Birmingham Arena back in the 90s and still fondly remember it as one of the best concerts of my life. They were supported by Happy Mondays who were at the peak of their powers, post "Bummed". The Mondays were brilliant but New Order were brillianter.

I was there in the front row! It was a blinding gg and 89 I believe

It's a partnership thing and the rest of the band have engineered to squeeze hookey out of the band, permanently and legally........probably due to him being a pita

advertisement

Back