advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

louballoo

Banned
Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

First we need the nominations..........That is what this thread is for.

I'd like to see each member contribute one nomination or second or third a nomination.

Then I will tabulate (next week) and set up a poll.

for example: Please start your post with:

I nominate Rogers LS35A.

Or

I second .......

Or

I third ......

If we put that at the start of each post it will be easy to count later....

After that you can slag each others choices to your hearts content.

Louballoo

Nomination: 15" Tannoys (e.g. Silvers, Reds Golds, HPDs, SRMs etc). They just have too much history to be ignored in any such list and more than any other speaker ever made perfectly straddle the gap between high-end home and pro audio. The sound of Abbey Road, Decca etc right there in your living room. There is a very good chance much of your record collection was born through a pair of these. I set foot in few studios or mastering rooms without a pair, and they do sound very nice at home too.

Runner up 1: Quad ESL. Just decades ahead of the game when the first version was released and still to this day better than pretty much everything else on the market. The ESL63 is even better as it is a true point source and has decent bass. The loudspeaker with everything that is wrong with a loudspeaker removed. On my 'to do' list.

Runner up 2: the Klipschorn. All rooms have corners. Almost all loudspeaker designers are too daft to grasp this fact and turn it to advantage! A pair of KHorns occupy far less floor space than a little two way stand mount on a stand, it is a very sensible way to approach a room. Any speaker introduced in the late 1940s and still in production has to be doing something right!

I third the Quad ESL57 (but not the 63) and second the ATC SCM100, I put forward my beloved Epos ES14's.

I third the Quad ESL57 (but not the 63)....

Do you not like the 63? I heard both 57s and 63s up against each other at Rob's recently and I'd take the 63 every time. It does all the same good things, but without the treble beaming and slightly tubby and thin bass. The 63 has proper 'big speaker' bass lacking only a little real LF heft that's probably only noticeable as missing if you are used to huge great full-range monitors.

1. JBL 4311 studio monitor, manages the honour of being the biggest selling speaker of all time(over 250,000 sold) and the most albums produced using them.
2. Tannoy 15" dc of any flavour.
3. My own.

advertisement

Back