advertisement

Should I buy new vinyl or the CD?

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
This is a serious question for those who have what might be called 'high-end' equipment.

I use a Weiss DAC202 to play ripped CDs and a high quality vinyl spinner equipped with a DV XV1-s cart. What I notice is that when a recording is good there really isn't anything between them in sound quality other than 'wine tasting'.

So I notice some stuff being released on both vinyl and CD. In the past I've gone for the more expensive 180g vinyl but its so variable in quality and sometimes not really worth it. In your experience when the same stuff is simultaneously released on both medium is the recording the same or has the CD been compressed to death?

Cheers,

DV

PS I am almost out of room for much more vinyl.......

Hi DV,

I have a few CD's that I have bought and also have the vinyl as well.

In my system the vinyl is always better, but then I am using a Linn streamer not a Weiss DAC202.

However having said that I know of a few people who will only use a CD player over a streaming system as it seems to be better, and yes I would have to agree with their findings.

Cheers

John

" some things are true, whether we want them to be, or not "

The answer is, it depends.

According to the video on ''pleasurizemusic.com'' taking the album of Chris Isaac's wicked game, the dynamic range of re-releases has become worse since it's original 80's release - steadily worse. The first remaster was worse, the 2nd remaster was worse still.

The original mastering quality trumps the medium (cd/vinyl).

So, with this release I would reccomend an original 1980's battered CD or slab of vinyl, depending on which was mastered the best.

I agree that there is no right answer.
Unless I can't bear to wait, or the release is limited, I hang back & wait for sound quality feedback.

I always buy the CD because it's cheaper and more user-friendly. OK, so maybe the LP would sound fractionally better but I buy them for the music, not to jerk off about how cool and trendy I am.

I use a Weiss DAC202 to play ripped CDs and a high quality vinyl spinner equipped with a DV XV1-s cart. What I notice is that when a recording is good there really isn't anything between them in sound quality other than 'wine tasting'.

Its obvious - time for a new turntable.

Jason

Its obvious - time for a new turntable.

Jason

I'm not so sure Jason. Old vinyl sounds amazing and I stopped using my DAC rediscovering my vinyl. However I ripped off some Schubert for SWMBO and put the DAC back into action and it was really very good. I really do get a seat at the event with both mediums but live recordings are spoilt because the audience sounds as if they are behind the band!

I think my question has already been answered and it confirms my fears that I really must search out old copies either vinyl or on CD but storage for vinyl is rapidly disappearing..........

Cheers,

DV

Old vinyl sounds lovely but it's such a faff and in many cases CD is as good or better. Each to his own, and I love a good TT but it's digital all the way for me now.

Depends on the relative spec of each source..... I used a Linn DS streamer ( 2 of them actualy ) and it sounds better than my vinyl.... On an LP12. But then I have their best streamer but not the best LP12. The cost to make it the best LP12 would cost many many CDs..... And not all music I want is on vinyl..... Easy win, buy CD's and rip them to FLAC...for me it sounds better and cheaper !

Depends on the relative spec of each source..... I used a Linn DS streamer ( 2 of them actualy ) and it sounds better than my vinyl.... On an LP12. But then I have their best streamer but not the best LP12. The cost to make it the best LP12 would cost many many CDs..... And not all music I want is on vinyl..... Easy win, buy CD's and rip them to FLAC...for me it sounds better and cheaper !

I recently upgraded from an LP12/Ittok/Troika and the Weiss was so much better in fact on a completely different level so much so that the record player wasn't used for a year. Thats why I got rid of it. So ripped CDs were better.

Then I auditioned another vinyl spinner and I rediscovered my vinyl collection. In terms of sound quality and music they are both in the same league. What I have been doing is collecting old stuff on vinyl and newer stuff on CD. I thought going back to playing an LP would be a faff but in fact the pure enjoyment seems to over come this.

What prompted my post was that some new stuff is currently being released simultaneously on both medium and the vinyl costs approximately double that of the CD plus my dwindling space.

Cheers,

DV

Buy both, ripped vinyl can sound really good too!
Kr Keith.

I was looking into that 2 - 3 years ago with Metric Halo/Sonic Studio but in the end along came the Weiss DAC202 which won with many brownie points. I seem to remember that Weiss also had an uber pricey ADC. No don't temp me......... My 17 yo has just unexpectedly pasted her driving test first time and tells me that she needs a car in which to practice!

Cheers,

DV

I find I am becoming more indifferent as to the medium (CD or LP, haven't got into the PC+DAC thing yet). Both machines are competent and the differences between different masterings are much greater, so I buy a) what I can find, whatever the medium and b) where I can choose, whatever medium has the better mastering (default setting: older is better).

As I'm running out of vinyl storage space, this is my new approach:

- Listen on Spotify, Youtube etc
- If better than 7/10 > purchase lovely vinyl (if avaialble)
- If better than 6/10 > consider CD > Ebay/Amazon etc > Rip Lossless/Flac
- After buying and ripping CD, consider whether it's worth holding on to, or selling on Ebay

CD is a worthless format IMO, but cheaper than downloading if you follow this process.

I've noticed lately that a good number of the vinyls records I buy come with either a voucher code for a free download or, in fewer cases, a copy of the album on CD too.

I bought "Get Well Soon" by Sarahbeth Tucek yesterday, that came with a download voucher.....

I am kinda hoping that this is the way forward and that most vinyl will come with a digital version......

Every LP I've bought recently has been either so badly warped it is almost unplayable, a pirated copy or a digital remaster. You might as well buy the CD.

advertisement

Back