advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry 29mile,

Lost in the earlier thread split...

We can sell you the updated PCB that’s fitted within the M-DAC but you will have to be responsible for the M-DAC warrantee… Normally we would take on reasonability for the M-DAC’s warrantee when the owner opens there MDAC to fit the new PSU PCB…
Thanks for that John. I have no problem with the warranty lapsing ( famous last words !). Willing to use my own power supply but can you supply a connector and pin-out details ?

Thanks John, ok my order is correct I wasn't sure whether the step attenuation analogue input was an option.

In regards to the USB audio card , thanks for feedback. It has a switch to cut the power to its usb output, whether that makes a difference in what the MDAC does with the signal . But at present I'm using the usb isolator in the chain. You've saved me some money there ! Thanks.

Do you plan to look at USB interfaces in anyway ?

Do you plan to use a mini-itx form atom processor in your planned streaming device, or will it all be proprietry inards tied down to your specific implementation. Digital device with cd transport, DNLA and capable of 24/192 streaming. If you were to incorporate this it would render any music server redundant and would be a killer device in my view. Isolating motherboards and SSD drives from audio components. Allowing third party software to be implemented to deal with the UI and music file processing .....

Hi Phil,

The only plans we have for USB is to include a Async 192kHz optically isolated USB interface on the CD transport...

As for the streamer, we plan to offer upgrades to the Squeeze box touch's - which adds a Clock-Lock interface link...

The SBT is limited to 24/96... and not sure about DLNA...

There are 2 options then , is this correct ?

M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £299 (standard)

1 + additional card for M-DAC + £50 (premium)

2 + step attenuation and analogue input + £100.

or is it 1 + 2 = £100 i.e £50 each option not £150. So max price of M-PAX with everything is £399 ?

Thanks for that John. I have no problem with the warranty lapsing ( famous last words !). Willing to use my own power supply but can you supply a connector and pin-out details ?

Yes, I'll also supply the Mini Din lead and schematic of the updated MDAC PSU board so you can workout the connections (With notes concerning PSU voltages and currents) :)

I guess I should remove you from the M-PAX pre-order list...

John

Hi Phil,

The only plans we have for USB is to include a Async 192kHz optically isolated USB interface on the CD transport...

QUOTE]

An optically isolated Async USB , very interesting . How would this fit in with interfacing external streamers or PC's as the unit is a CD transport which is 44.1 ? Sorry for my ignorance here :)

There are 2 options then , is this correct ?

M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £299 (standard)

1 + additional card for M-DAC + £50 (premium)

2 + step attenuation and analogue input + £100.

or is it 1 + 2 = £100 i.e £50 each option not £150. So max price of M-PAX with everything is £399 ?

The full option version would cost:

M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £289

+

Internal PSU card for M-DAC £59

+

Analogue input Step attenuation £99

= an all up price of £447.

Sadly the Analogue input Stepped attenuator option (£99) is very costly due to the number of Reed Relays & the high precision resistors used to maintain good Common Mode rejection.

John

Hi Phil,

QUOTE]

An optically isolated Async USB , very interesting . How would this fit in with interfacing external streamers or PC's as the unit is a CD transport which is 44.1 ? Sorry for my ignorance here :)

When in CD transport mode it will output over the optical SPDIF connection 44.1kHz and in Async USB mode anything up to 192kHz...

The CD Transport / 192kHz Async USB is Clock-locked to the MDAC thereby insuring true Async operation with USB, and "Jitter Free" transport connection. The Optical links result in galvanic isolation of the USB/PC interface (and also the CD Transport).

John

If you somehow damage your unit, I can repair it FOC - you would just have to pay for the shipping and any replacement parts (if they are worth charging for)... I'd only worry about the OLED display panel or the ESS DAC, the individual cost of the rest of the components is not worth worrying about...

John

Ok thanks just to confirm that my order is for

"M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £289

+

Internal PSU card for M-DAC £59"

Regards 192kHz output from your transport , whats the source , are you reading 192kHz res files from an external server ? I seemed to have got myself confused :)

Ok thanks just to confirm that my order is for

"M-PAX basic PSU guise with AV bypass £289

+

Internal PSU card for M-DAC £59"

Regards 192kHz output from your transport , whats the source , are you reading 192kHz res files from an external server ? I seemed to have got myself confused :)

:) No the CD transport will also have a USB port (just like the MDACs USB port), but will support 192kHz Audio + its inherently Galvanicilly isolated - so streaming from PC etc...

The USB 24/96 limitation is due to hardware, and not software drivers...

Bugger - this is a bit of a show stopper for me as I really wanted to be able to use the three most popular sample/bit rates (16/44.1 / 24/96 24/192) via USB from my Mac mini. I realise I could get something like a Musical Fidelity V-Link II to pass on 24/192 data to the MDAC via coax, but this would mean another box, and more money...

Think I'll wait for your forthcoming own brand DAC instead if this offers all the main sample/bit rates via USB?

- John

:) No the CD transport will also have a USB port (just like the MDACs USB port), but will support 192kHz Audio + its inherently Galvanicilly isolated - so streaming from PC etc...

So stream 192 PC via USB to USB port on CD transport and output via optical to MDAC ..:eek:

If my "theory" is correct that its the Organic Capacitors that cause the "shift" in audio quality as the MDAC runs-in , then its going to be the same for the M-PAX... if not worst (as there will be many more organic caps).

John

I am sure mine's still evolving! It's moving further and further away from my KI CD player's DACs. Sounds fantastic!

When the M-PAX arrives, will I need to have some short XLR to XLR cables in preparation then to connect to the M-DAC? I am assuming the M-PAX comes with the DIN power cable for the power and signal connections?

So stream 192 PC via USB to USB port on CD transport and output via optical to MDAC ..:eek:

Yes :)

The MDAC is Clock Master, so Async USB is the perfect source - the optical connections isolate your MDAC from your PC environment - while the Clock link removes the Jitter...

So the new CD transport will connect to the MDAC by USB? Any idea how much the CD transport will cost?

The Transport will connect to the MDAC via two Optical connections (One for SPDIF DATA and the Second for Clock Lock) and an IR Bus Link cable.

There will be 2 USB connections - the "legacy" USB port on the MDAC that's good for 24/96 and the second USB port on the Transport that's good for 24/192

Great so thats all isolation sorted for PC and an uprated output :D

How far down the line are you in the final design for it?

Would there be options to include or exclude the cd side of things?

Essentially it would be a USB to Spdif convertor with an additional clock lock for the pure streamers amongst us.

Would there be any chance of providing an over sized case for all this , so I could fit an mini-itx motherboard inside and SSD with internal usb connection to your "wotnots" (see I am technical).

The reason is that with MDAC MPAX cd-transport (MTRANS) PC etc ... a lot of us will be running out of room on our racks. Plus I'm sure you would be able to sell this be the lorry load .... asking to much ? or not financially viable for yourselves?

The Transport will connect to the MDAC via two Optical connections (One for SPDIF DATA and the Second for Clock Lock) and an IR Bus Link cable.

I expected the transport to connect via two rca connections since they can handle 24/192 and the clock signal goes from the M-DAC to the transport (at least in my imagination ;)). Could you explain the difference between the RCA sync out und optical sync in? How do I connect both transport and SBT (with clock lock upgrade)?

Edit: Wouldn't the IR Bus Link annihilate the isolation achieved by the use of optical cables?

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back