advertisement

System pics 2012

Built up over the past year. The amp is an Audio Space AS-2i at about 12w per channel I think. The DAC is an Abrahamsen with balanced and unbalance outputs, USB input A-Sync. Now the speakers I bought from Ebay, but the guy who made these crackers lives near in Huddersfield so I popped over listened to them with some of my music and took a chance that the sound would open right up after burn in, and it did in spades. They are a DIY design front ported with a very high quality crossover. I am not sure but I think he said that they are inspired by ProAc but hey imho they sound great for the dosh.
If I get the opertunity to meet at a local bakeoff I will take the gear to see what the guys think. Anyway all this lot was obtained for approx £450.
All the music is from my PC using foobar2000 and installed plugin WASAPI for output to DAC.

2012-01-03171552.jpg

2012-01-03172452.jpg

2012-01-03172534.jpg

2012-01-03172508.jpg
Hi, who's the guy in huddersfield that made your speakers?

That TT cd player looks out of place at the bottom there and anyway it won't be getting much use these days.

That being the case would you flog it cheap to me please? ;)

Nice stuff I bet it all hangs together rather nicely.

Cheers,

Dave

Cheers. The Fusion is a lovely CD player I wanted one for ages but they don't come up for sale S/H very often. I did actually flirt with the idea of selling it as it gets so little use but I still like to have a decent player available when required.

Been meaning to post this for a while: SBT (ethernetted to a Mac) with B4, NAP 250, and Shahinian Arcs, all running on a dedicated mains spur. Got rid of my CD player and LP12 last year with the intention of getting a really good DAC but this sounds so good at the moment, I don't really feel the urge. Perhaps later in the year...?

Room1.jpg

Room2.jpg

This is what's lurking behind the TV (I use iPeng and an iPad for selection).

Beetc.jpg

And here's the guts of the B4, completed a few weeks ago - a superb preamp and all that I need since I'm just running the one source (it replaced my 72/hi-cap). Thanks +++ to all of the Top Men in the DIY subforum; I'd never have got there without you!

P1060145.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

In an effort to spend more time outside my small dedicated music room, here's my newly finished lounge system: (Thanks again to "deltaunit" for shipping the epos over to me!)

lounge1.jpeg

lounge2.jpeg

Sorry, I didn't bother to clean my work stuff off the table for you.

Well, it was a fabulous day of hifi fettling at my place yesterday, with me giggling with joy and adrenalin, as I rush around the house digging out old LPs to play.

Firstly, I had a second armboard made for the Trio L07D to mount my SME V / Ortofon Cadenza Blue. It looks dwarfed by the Trio arm, but the performance is absolutely stellar - certainly flies in the face of those who might think the SME "boring". :). The SME is forensic in this setting, the Trio more organic, but both supremely enjoyable. The SME can now track a "Grand Canyon" of a warped LP, which it certainly couldn't do when it was on the Inspire Eclipse. This is a FANTASTIC turntable...

Secondly, I had a niggling suspicion that the Jamo R909 speakers were not quite to my taste, with a strange "cuppiness" to the vocals, but as this feeling was gradual, and seemed more distinct on one channel only I suspected a fault. Long story short, it now has a replacement Scanspeak Revelator tweeter in place, and they sound utterly stunning. My Neat MF7s will be for sale soon :)

My deep gratitude and grateful thanks to Richard and Richie from Vantage Audio, who spent many hours of graft in helping me to sort out the speaker issues and install the SME into place today. I took a couple of days off work for this and I've a LOT of music to listen to. I won't get to bed early tonight...

DSCF2806.jpg

DSCF2819.jpg

DSCF2816.jpg

DSCF2792.jpg

All my male friends think they look and sound fabulous: every female thinks they look hideous, and take great pity on the missus for having such an intolerant partner :D My plan is to persuade every guy I know that BIG speakers are the way forward, and no, it doesn't matter if your room is tiny, they'll still fit.

Theo - Nice system. I've always fancied one of those Trios, but I've only ever seen them broken up for spares on ebay. I showed my wife the Jamos and she commented that twin 15" drivers seems like a no brainer to her especially since they make them in red!. Mind you, she has a pair of 15" Tannoy HPDs in her office, so I guess I lucked in.

I actually wanted a red pair, but I got the black pair at a price I found hard to refuse. The piano black finish is as good as I have come across. IMO, they're design classics. 4 x 15" units is nice too :)

All my male friends think they look and sound fabulous: every female thinks they look hideous, and take great pity on the missus for having such an intolerant partner :D My plan is to persuade every guy I know that BIG speakers are the way forward, and no, it doesn't matter if your room is tiny, they'll still fit.

pffft.

They've got a gloss finish, are a proffessionally made speaker, and are very thin from the side.

Slap those ladies with a kipper.

lounget.jpg

Try these in your living room. They no longer sit on the home-brew ''air platforms'' which were an experiment in being 'neighbour-friendly'.

As you can see, I'm a long time member of the 'big speakers club' !!

003soy.jpg

here is the system above for anyone interested. It is messy from this shot, but I can't see any of that from where I sit.

brief summary:

top:
NAS mentor/kuzma/clearaudio, mac mini & h/drive
middle:
Tribute Autoformer pre, Young Dac, Ear 834p, wave mechanic
bottom:
LFD monoblocks

Summary: Mark Grant Mains leads and G2000HD interconnects with WBT Nextgen 0110 ag plugs

Music Works Reflex mains block, dedicated mains, consumer unit and earth.

Music Works Reference tables

Audiolab 8200 CDQ with the upgrades

Tube Distinctions grounded grid pre, offboard PSU, Ecc82 valves

Tube Distinctions 45 Watt Class A KT120 Copper amp

Tannoy Turnberry SE loudspeakers hooked up with reterminated Sterling Black Mamba cable.

imag0120pz.jpg
[/URL]

imag0115fh.jpg
[/URL]

[URL]

View, lying on the other sofa...

The RH Dual Concentric driver is not obscured by the sofa.

Visually, perhaps not, Steven; nor even, maybe, the high frequencies, but considerable absorption of everything else must occur, surely.

Not something I'd impede lovely speakers like those with, though, visually or aurally.:)

advertisement

Back