advertisement

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

graeme h

pfm Member
I'm sure it exists.....incase my drive units give up I'd like to know their is something out there circa £2k and stand mount preferred.

Thoughts?

G

Well as you know I changed mine for Revel M22, a very fine American stand mount that retail around £2K.

It depends what your priorities are - the benefits of source and amp upgrades will be easily revealed by your speakers as it is.

Have a late pair with stands - still enjoy them very much but now in a second system. Main system uses Naim SL2s, so that may give you a clue...

It depends what your priorities are - the benefits of source and amp upgrades will be easily revealed by your speakers as it is.

.....err, but if the drivers give up I'd be looking for a modern equivalent, that was the question. G

No other speaker manages to be as uniquely terrible as the ES14.

If it were a little girl it would have a little curl.

(I might change my moniker to exES14ie.)

No other speaker manages to be as uniquely terrible as the ES14.

If it were a little girl it would have a little curl.

(I might change my moniker to exES14ie.)

OK, Which modern loudspeaker circa £2K has all the uniquely terrible characteristics of the esteemed ES14 MK1 as I'd be perfectly happy to own them. G

I've only ever heard ellwood pour scorn and bile on eveything; would be interesting to hear some more positive suggestions on this thread. I don't know ES14's well enought to make them.

What is it about them that makes you say this?

A unique comination of being deaf as a post and bitter that he has to listen to the painfully opaque Briks :)

You could get a pair of David's beloved wardrobes for well under budget, but then you would have to spend spend thousands on amplification and active cross-overs to make them sound half way acceptable....it's a lot of effort to get half way.

If the ES14 had a Linn badge on it David would be falling over himself telling us how amazing they were and sharing 'insider' insights...

.....err, but if the drivers give up I'd be looking for a modern equivalent, that was the question. G

Well, you would indeed be stuffed unfortunately. When one of my MK2 bass drivers gave up I auditioned quite a lot of speakers at 2K and didn't find anything I could live with. In the end I bought a second pair of ES14's and used them for spares (harder to find Mk1's though). They sound so uniquely terrible that two friends felt compelled to also buy a pair.....;)

acoustic energy AE1 is a speaker that I feel offers everything the ES14 does and more.

how much are they (cant be over £2k?)

or maybe some nice second hand (but current) b&w's

or maybe some old SBL's?

as mark says isobariks end up costing lots.

Once they pass away, my ES30 and ES14 will probably both be replaced by Dynaudio speakers.

A friend of mine owns a professional recording studio and uses Dynaudio as main speakers, all setup by people who know a fair bit more about music reproduction than most HiFi guys, of which many are crooks. The absolutely most awesome sound quality heard anywhere, except maybe the Berlin Philharmonic at the Philharmonie.

I think the stand out quality off the ES14 is the hear-through mid and excellent sense of coherence.
That also happens to be the one area where many loudspeaker monumentally fall down, so this alone puts the ES14 on the map with very few others as being timeless.

many of the classic larger BBC designs share that property, though the overall balance is a little gentler and more distant.
Perhaps look at a late pair of Spendor SP1s or even the new Stirling LS3/6 though that is a little over budget. Designed by Derek Hughes so likely very good.

It's so long since I heard ES14 s I cant remember what they sounded like. What's the nearest equivalent today, character wise?
BTW how much are the new Strelings?

Hmmmm......I've had AE1 mk2's in the past and they are fairly good but a little congested in the middle compared to the 14's. The newer mk3 AE1 has had a horrible 'art-deco' make-over which I just could not live with.....sprayed silver bleurgh!

So, no contenders then?.......G

advertisement

Back