advertisement

Teddy xps vs Naim 555psu

elkman70

pfm Member
Hi,

Has anybody compared the Teddy XPS against the Naim 555psu.

I currently have a Teddy XPS on a CDS3 and wonder if the upgrade to the 555psu is worthwhile.

Regards,

Elkman

I am actually using a naim ndx with the teddyxps. I am also wondering how different the ndx will sound with a 555ps :)

Elkman70, are you using a nac282, nac252 or a nac552? :)

The TeddyXPS has a reputation for being somewhat lighter and more nimble on the bottom end then the XPS. The 555PS I know for a fact is much heavier on the low end then the XPS and in the wrong system may sound overly ponderous and leaden. But if all else is right it can offer greater true LF extension and more dynamics. I bet the Teddy and the 555PS will be chalk and cheese apart and require careful system matching instead of looking at better/worse in absolute terms. The biggest difference however may be the price.

My full system is;

CDS3/ TXPS

282/ DTC

Kudos C20

Isoblue

Regards,

Elkman

I am actually using a naim ndx with the teddyxps. I am also wondering how different the ndx will sound with a 555ps :)

Elkman70, are you using a nac282, nac252 or a nac552? :)

The lack of input on this thread probably suggests that there are none who have compared both Teddy XPS and Naim 555 PSU in their systems.

Personally I feel the move from the XPS to 555 PSU is only worthwhile if the person doesn't care too much on financial aspects of the upgrade, whether the money spent is in tandem with the improvements gained. Everyone's expectations is not similar ie. a significant day and night difference to one may be a subtle or negligible difference to another.

Best is to hear both in the system and sell the one that sounds better(or the one that sound slightly inferior but is of better value).

Good luck.

Just to add on, if the current system sounds good as it is and is a joy to listen to, my suggestion is to just stick with it and enjoy the tunes. As we all know, this upgrade game may go on forever. Even if one has reached the top of the Naim hierarchy, he may want to seek further improvements and look for something else. A friend's friend reached to the top of the Naim hierarchy with a Naim NAC552 based system but eventually moved to FM Acoustics, though the fine Swiss gear may last a lifetime in his system.

I'm not confusing the XPS/XPS2...I owned them both and for several months ran them side by side into both a CDS2 and a CDS3 so I well know how each power supply performed with each CD player. I have also at a friends house compared the XPS1/XPS2 with a CDX into 52/500/DBLs. And the XPS2 is more than marginally better than the XPS1, but mostly in the midrange and upper registers, where is it cleaner, more textured and subjectively less noisy.

And I also compared the XPS2 with the 555PS on several occasions too, using the CDS3.

I haven't heard the TeddyXPS- I expect very few here would swap out their 555PS for a TeddyXPS, probably for reasons more psychological than anything else. You have to admit that the cost, reputation and weight of the 555PS confers a certain pride of ownership. And for many high-end Naim owners, that cannot be overlooked.

Careful you don't confuse the original XPS with the XPS2 - 2 very different sounds.

very different how? I'm intrigued - I have (all) olive XPS, 52, supercap, 135s but a CDS3. Love it all but what would you expect to be different if I replaced the XPS with an XPS2?
Thanks for reading.

I suspect that there is little difference between a TXPS and the 555psu.
I also suspect that the difference between the XPS2 and 555psu are down to personal preference rather than an out right difference.

Regards,

Elkman

I'm not confusing the XPS/XPS2...I owned them both and for several months ran them side by side into both a CDS2 and a CDS3 so I well know how each power supply performed with each CD player. I have also at a friends house compared the XPS1/XPS2 with a CDX into 52/500/DBLs. And the XPS2 is more than marginally better than the XPS1, but mostly in the midrange and upper registers, where is it cleaner, more textured and subjectively less noisy.

And I also compared the XPS2 with the 555PS on several occasions too, using the CDS3.

I haven't heard the TeddyXPS- I expect very few here would swap out their 555PS for a TeddyXPS, probably for reasons more psychological than anything else. You have to admit that the cost, reputation and weight of the 555PS confers a certain pride of ownership. And for many high-end Naim owners, that cannot be overlooked.

I've tried both 555ps and txps and both where a significant upgrade (q. Dramatic) from a CDPS in a hdx/dac 552/500 system. Never tried them back to back but have no urge to buy 555ps based on memory. They do different things though both render more detail and blacker black if you know what I mean.

Elkman. I think i just saw your system photo on Naim's forum. It has several green led light shining brightly from teddy's power supplies :D

Elkman. I think i just saw your system photo on Naim's forum. It has several green led light shining brightly from teddy's power supplies :D

As long as the 'T' word is not mentioned you might get away with it ;)

FWIW I had a Naim XPS and was very pleased with it. Because I was so blown away with the Teddycap I though I would give the Teddy XPS a try. I then sold the Naim one.....

No worries....you can mention it over there just don't promote it. Some individuals did this in the past abusing the priviledge and new rules had to be put in effect.

Would you let some jerk once married to your sister run around your dinner party telling everyone how his ex-wife is now fodder compared to This Week's Luv? I doubt it.

Some(or most) folks may not want to consider the Teddy power supplies as they want their equipment to have a Naim badge on it, to have that streamlined look of Naim boxes all stacked up nicely on a Naim Fraim. Factors such as synergy apart from warranty issues have been cited for the unpopular combination between Naim amps and Teddy units. Nevertheless I have been using a Dual Teddycap with my 202/200 for 2 years now and the setup had always put a smile on my face every time I listen to the system.

Hi Ryder, are you the same Ryder from xtremeplace forum?

The TXPS on the NDX make me smile too :)

I had heard the NDX/XPS2 and the NDX/TXPS on two separate systems but never as an A/B direct comparison. I was thinking of getting a XPS2 to do that A/B direct comparison.

Hi Naimsg, yes, same username on Xtremeplace.

If you decide to go with the XPS2, it would be great if you could post your impressions on the XPS2 vs TXPS.

Cheers.

We can gather a group a people to do the review together. I read from another forum that a group of people gathered together and did a DAC (about 10 different DAC contributed from different participants) shootout recently. That is really interesting

advertisement

Back