advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello sq225917:

You mentioned that the current production of CDQs contain the upgraded displays and transformers but that they will be slow to arrive.

1. Do you have any knowledge as to the present 8200CD production line, whether it also contains the new OLED and upgraded transformers?

2. Could you hazard a guess as to when we in North America might see both the CDQs & CDs arrive with their recent modifications?

3. Could you also take a stab at the MDAC's arrival for us here.

Thanks very much,

Al

Hi Al,

1. Yes, "Some" 8200CD's on the production line are fitted with the OLED + Transformer update - however not all markets are ordering the OLED versions due to the slight price increase. OLED versions have a cheap looking "OLED VERSION" label on the carton and rear panel....

2. Is there even an Audiolab distributor in the US? - No idea.

3. Best Guess, after Christmas - for all markets outside of the UK...

John

I too was impressed with the mdac they played the same track on the cdq and then swapped to the mdac and it was a noticable step up to me.

Not familiar with the warfedales or the 8200mbs though. I would have liked to have grabbed the mdac and taken it to the pmc room but i think would have got assaulted by both iag and bryston so thought better of it :D

Butuz

Oh - I'm very sorry I missed the chance to meet you - maybe I was locked in the bathroom upgrading PFM'ers CDQ's to OLED version...

John

Did anyone get accross to the show and meet John then? I never managed to get over.

I will be using the Mdac for my computer but if I do need to play a CD do you think I will get decent results feeding the Mdac from my Denon 3910 DVD player?

Hi Mark,

The MDAC will work very well with your Denon DVD player :) - (so long as it passes the MDAC's Bit-perfect test).

John

Can't believe it will support 192k with windows - it claims it needs no special drivers but the standard windows driver doesn't go that high.

Indeed, But it says alot when the marketing department in China does not know this... theres only so much Dom and I can help with...

Also not asynchronous usb (certainly no claims to that effect and they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if it were)

It is indeed Asynchronous USB, but to gain advantage of Asynchronous USB you need a well design and routed Clock distribution (Master Clocks). This unit "Ticks" all the marketing Spec. requirements but lacks any audiophile credentials...

John

To stop the empty conversion, of course you can select any of the inputs (all of them digital) one at a time and use the digital volume control to control the volume (!) of the analogue outputs which can be connected directly to a power amp

The balanced outputs are the better option whenever possible

100% Correct!

Hello Mr. Westlake, in your opinion, what are the cd or dvd transport that works better with the m-dac?
thank you!
cheers
sergio

Hi Sergiox,

Any Transport that can be Clock-Locked to the MDAC - Old Arcams, Cambridge Audio CDT (Diskmagic), Deltec / DPA.

But these will be hard to find (working) these days, although I understand that DPA will add a "Clock-Lock" board to most CD players for GBP250... But I'm only going by what I hear via the Internet...

Otherwise, any transport that passes MDAC's Bit Perfect test.

We will have a matching "Transport device" within the next 6 months...

John

:)

We'll soon have the MDAC, its improved power supply/HT passthrough, and a matching transport!

What's missing is a phono unit, and an analog only preamp (all in one) -- Just kidding, although this may not be such a stupid idea if the QDAC doesn't happen

Exciting times!

Trawling ;)

The QDAC is (was) a half size box as per MDAC with the addition of analogue inputs.

haha yes obviously a term I see to often on some of the other threads.

Not sure I'll be able to use the digital pre-amp of either DQ or MDAC in my Marantz AV setup , as I'm bi-amping. It uses FL, SBL and FR, SBR output from the processor to achieve this. Might have to get something built in order to split 2 channel into 4 :confused:

Hi John,

I am coming round to the idea of buying an MDAC if fitting the Cross output stage to the CDQ is not really feasible.

I will just need a suitable digital interconnect.

HI PhilCTTE,

With the addition of the MDAC's upgrade PSU (with AV Bypass), I dont see why you could not use the MDAC in your AV System.

With the PSU/AV bypass - you AV system should work exactly as is does now - but with the advantage of higher quality audio in "Two Channel Stereo" Mode.

John

Lo Steven. I'll let you know what I think of the Mdac's x output compared to a fettled CDQ when I pick it up (soon I hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back