advertisement

Ebay moans

k4pog

Banned
As a regular seller on ebay for a number of years now,I don't think I've ever known so many "buyers" pull out of paying for no reason at all
There's those that are either the "winning bidder" or hit the "BIN" button,then just disappear !
No explanation,nothing !

Then there's the ones that hit the "BIN" button,then decide to make a lower offer afterwards !
When you say no,again they disappear without trace,knowing full well,there's no worthwhile comeback on them

I "sold" a pair of speakers on "BIN" recently for a shade under 3K,then the buyer is asking for a 10% discount otherwise he'll walk !
It's truly getting my goat lately,so are any other dealers getting the same experience,or is it just me ?

Me too Pog

I allways leave them unpaid item strike but that's probably not worrying anyone.

Not possible to leave negative feedback for non paying bidders - a shame

I'm not a regular seller but it happened to me for first time last week, was very happy to accept a good "best offer" on my Yamaha cds2000.....but then zero contact from the buyer. I've raised a non-payment dispute but doesn't look there is any sanction against the non-payer if he still doesn't pay.

I think ebay has just got worse and worse in recent years.

Making everything anonymous opened the door to shill bidding, meaning nobody trusts the auction option anymore.

Not doing anything about sniping hasn't helped since no newcomers ever win auctions. How hard would it actually be to extend the deadline by 10 min every time a bid comes in in the last 5 min?

and the buy it nows at ridiculous price just litter he whole place up with stuff nobody is ever going to buy which just goes round and round, increasing the view that prices are bogus.

They would do a lot better to say that if it isn't new its not allowed to be a BIN item, then supply and demand dictates the price for second user items as it sensibly should.

A lot of hi fi dealers are guilty on this last point so I think they may protest too much!

Don't even get me started on current eBay fees, I just got stiffed £20 quid for selling a £150 bike, and that doesn't include the paypal bit.

No surprise that the private sellers of second user equipment have buggered off in their droves!

I can't understand why people waste their time on bidding like this (I can kind of see the asking for 10% ploy, but would do this before bidding if I were really interested). Guess they're sitting in their office bored.

Bought and paid for a Tenor Ukulele last week. Ebay subsequently pulled the advert and de-registered the seller and wrote to me telling me not to complete the sale

I had to wait 7 days to raise a case against the seller and now wait a further 9 days for the seller to respond before I can ask Ebay customer services to get involved in refunding me

It's an absolute disgrace

I bought a big haul of records on ebay a couple of weeks ago and they've still not arrived, and the seller is not answering my questions. It's a shock as he had 100percent feedback. Really infuriating if I have to go through a long dispute process. Perhaps we could think about putting together a petition to Consumer Direct with some suggestions as to how ebay can better protect both buyers and sellers.

eBay do fek all about disputes. I sold an amp for £1200 and the guy said he didn't recieve it, even after his wife signed for it. He then tried selling it on ebay just 3 months later, showing the same serial number on the back!!!

I highlights this to ebay and they did nothing........ He didn't get his money back from me but he tried and tried. He did get £150 from PayPal who then tried billing me for it... I told the police, they classed it as a bad business transaction and refused to get involved.

eBay even allowed him to change his sellers name when trying to hide.... he eventually had a personal visit.

Bought and paid for a Tenor Ukulele last week. Ebay subsequently pulled the advert and de-registered the seller and wrote to me telling me not to complete the sale

I had to wait 7 days to raise a case against the seller and now wait a further 9 days for the seller to respond before I can ask Ebay customer services to get involved in refunding me

It's an absolute disgrace

My stepfather had exactly the same experience on a TV dongle for a PC. Ebay made people wait despite the fact thayt it was completely obvious to everyone that the seller had gone bad.

The people running it just don't seem to have any business acumen.

In the late 1990s I was a big fan of eBay, but now they just don't give a damn about the small customers or indeed small sellers. They're only interested in those that sell '000s of products a week. I know, as I went for an interview there for a Sellers' Manager EU job. They're only interested in extracting as much cash from each transaction as possible (lumping another couple of % on top through paypal). As a seller, you can sell any old tat and get away with it by ignoring messages. And forget dealing with any problems with paypal: took me 6 phonecalls to explain a problem, each time to a call centre worker in India, who each time wanted the full story. Such a shame, but that's what happens once you go on the stock market.

If more people took buyers to court it might force ebay to take a tougher line. The 3k speaker example is worth a few quid investment in the small claims court.

Hi
I believe that you can put a BIN on and only accept a purchase if they pay immediately with PayPal
Mark

well thats a bit double edged really - it forces you to take paypal with its fees and the guarantee as a seller that you can only lose any dispute!

I guess it gets rid of the non payer.

I personally believe the stock market wil soon be taking eBay to task and the directors will eventually be fired since they clearly aren't maximising profits by destroying their own marketplace. Ebay is regarded as an underperfoming stock relative to expectations so the days of the current directors are probably numbered!

Bosh,

One tip - if ebay kill a buyer's account and they show as deregistered then you can raise a non-paying dispute immediately and you will be refunded within the hour for your final value fees. If you hassle ebay they will also refund your listing fee. Worked for me a week ago.

I seem to have less hassle than John, K4pog, but I only sell on BIN basis.

I would also suggest that those moaning about fees check the fee schedule for the item they are looking to sell before listing it. If think the fee is too high then don't use ebay. It is quite simple really.

CJ

Note that it is actually illegal for Ebay to force buyer or seller to use a certain method of payment (though they would really like buyers to use Paypal and seller to only offer it). It actually goes against the Sale Of Goods Act 1978, Section 28 Concurrence of Conditions which states it is illegal for the medium by which buyer and seller are introduced to impose a method of payment on either party.
Ebay (or rather The Ebay Gestapo who reported my listing) picked me up on this when I said I would prefer not to take Paypal. I then pointed out that they were breaking the law and they backed down.

I'm not a regular seller but it happened to me for first time last week, was very happy to accept a good "best offer" on my Yamaha cds2000.....but then zero contact from the buyer. I've raised a non-payment dispute but doesn't look there is any sanction against the non-payer if he still doesn't pay.

So I went through the non-payment report process and got the final value fee credited, and then relisted.
And it sold again last night.... and it turns out the the "buyer" is the same person who didn't pay for it first time round but using a different ebay userid!

No contact from them and the telephone number in their contact details is invalid. Not sure what they are playing at but you may want to have a think if your dealing with somebody with a .pl email address who claims to be in Oxford OX4.

advertisement

Back