advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, and I can't find this damn SDM modulator mode.:confused:.

This keeps coming up. John & Dominik dropped this in favour of two additional filters, but the manuals had already been printed (see p77 of this thread). Maybe Audiolab should publish an updated manual via their web site ASAP.

The SDM modulator mode was dropped at the last minute, and replaced with some more digital filters. John W commented on this a few pages back.

Picked my replacement up yesterday, and was told it had been running overnight to make sure it was ok (thank you). After far too many beers I did end up connecting it up last night for a quick listen before passing out.

It's been on all afternoon, and when I'm finished with my paperwork I'm going to sit down for a proper listen. I have a Squeezebox Touch connected via optical, and will try some comparisons with CD's to keep you interested people sated.

Big thank you to John and the nice people at Bartletts (for not drinking the tequila).

Will you be using a stock USB cable or will go for a higher quality one?

I am using Kimber USB.

When the unit is run in I'll compare it to standard USB cable to see how much difference it makes.

Before the CDQ arrived, I was using a NuForce uDAC-2 as a stand in. The NuForce was dramatically improved by the Kimber USB cable. It became quite listenable whereas before the Kimber I was actually considering sending the NuForce back to the dealer as a piece of crap it sounded so poor.

All 1's and 0's eh?

Chris, do you ever wonder why some dacs show no difference in USb cables? Could it be because they are competently designed with sufficient isolation of the power lines and well laid out ground planes inside the dac.

Dane, I think you are spot on. I'm listening at between -30 to -20 (-20 being probably loud enough to upset my neighours !)

Edit:
I'm currently listening at -35. Testing with KC and the sunshine band - "that's the way I like it" is giving me a reading of around 65dBC on my sound meter from my sofa.

Currently listening at -32. It would be some system that could upset my nearest neighbours ;) but -20 certainly has the house rocking

This is very useful information for when I start looking for a power amp soon. So would I be right in thinking that I should be looking for either a balanced amp or one with adjustable gain? ie would balanced and adjustable gain likely be unnecessary (and probably very limiting in choice)?

I am using Kimber USB.

When the unit is run in I'll compare it to standard USB cable to see how much difference it makes.

Before the CDQ arrived, I was using a NuForce uDAC-2 as a stand in. The NuForce was dramatically improved by the Kimber USB cable. It became quite listenable whereas before the Kimber I was actually considering sending the NuForce back to the dealer as a piece of crap it sounded so poor.

All 1's and 0's eh?
heard a few nice things about that cable...
eager to hear your comparisons :)

Out of curiosity what is the typical power consumption of the CDQ while running? If you are running in the Digital Pre mode is the Analogue stage shut down or is it still running.

John,
Returned the problematic CDQ to AudioT on Friday morning so presumably back with Audiolab now. The replacement unit has been powered up almost continuously since Friday evening. No problems at all so far, though I've avoided leaving the CDQ on repeat overnight this time.
Had a chance to have a long listening session yesterday and I'm even more impressed. Next step is to try the CDQ in balanced mode with some active speakers. Following your discussion of actives the other day, are there any designs you'd particularly recommend? Have auditioned Event Opals, Dynaudio BM12s, Klein & Hummel O300s, and Focal Solos and Twins, and liked all of the last three.
Thanks again, Duncan
ps. One suggestion on the remote. I like the design but I think it could be made to feel still more impressive by adding a little weight to it. Marantz used that trick with their metal-fronted remotes for CD17, loading them with lead I guess. Presumably not expensive either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back