advertisement

Who's this waving the baton?

Do you that perhaps a clue might help us narrow it down from one of the hundreds of millions of people it could possibly be?

is it my gran?

I know a few people here listen to classical music, and it is a quite distinctive performance.

I'll post a few clues, but I'll wait until I get some guess's.

Sensible guess's...

Come on, it's got to be more interesting than arguing about hi-fi?

How about the title?

I hate these blind tests, Basil.

Post a picture of the conductor, then I'll guess who it is.

Joe

All these hi-fi experts, and no one can recognise a very popular piece of music.

I guess we'll have to wait for tones to show up.

Seriously Basil, we need a clue.
(The music is the beginning of Má Vlast by Smetana (Vysehrad).)

Seriously Basil, we need a clue.
(The music is the beginning of Má Vlast by Smetana (Vysehrad).)

It is, now think of who normally conducts this, and think 'polar opposite'

ps, How on earth did you recognise it, with it being a ropey old mp3?

I hate these blind tests, Basil.

Post a picture of the conductor, then I'll guess who it is.

Joe

Joe, does this help? I think this is the guy:

4179822204399223880n.jpg

(As conductors go, he's my favorite.)

All these hi-fi experts, and no one can recognise a very popular piece of music.

I guess we'll have to wait for tones to show up.

The music is the easy bit, it's part of Smetana's Ma Vlast suite, but the conductor? It was and is a staple of the late Romantic repertoire and all the great central European Romantic conductors have done it (Karajan and Kubelik come immediately to mind), but goodness only knows who it is.

It is, now think of who normally conducts this, and think 'polar opposite'

ps, How on earth did you recognise it, with it being a ropey old mp3?

I read somewhere that mp3 is just as good and so much more practical.

Ma Vlast was one of the first "Hifi" records my father bought in the 60s, I think it was a DG with Karajan conducting, he of the permanent tan, trim build, personality cult, fast cars and jet flying not to mention carefully rehearsed and rigidly controlled performances, very much a bourgeois icon of the 60s and the music (pop piece of XIXth century music) is deep in seriously Karajan territory. Karajan, picking his nose?
(Bub will be along shortly to tell us if this is a watch worth having)

Now, polar opposite to all that, someone not into pop classics... Visually at least, Leif Segerstam is a complete opposite. Segerstam
Harnoncourt, way outside of his original baroque territory? Boulez? Frank Zappa? No, he was more a Stravinsky sort of guy. Mick Jagger? Nigel Kennedy having a laff?

(gives up)

The music is the easy bit, it's part of Smetana's Ma Vlast suite, but the conductor? It was and is a staple of the late Romantic repertoire and all the great central European Romantic conductors have done it (Karajan and Kubelik come immediately to mind), but goodness only knows who it is.

You might want to be sitting when you find out who is conducting!

Karajan, to the best of my knowledge, only recorded the first two parts. Whether he performed it live, in its entirety, I don't know.

I read somewhere that mp3 is just as good and so much more practical.

Ma Vlast was one of the first "Hifi" records my father bought in the 60s, I think it was a DG with Karajan conducting, he of the permanent tan, trim build, personality cult, fast cars and jet flying not to mention carefully rehearsed and rigidly controlled performances, very much a bourgeois icon of the 60s and the music (pop piece of XIXth century music) is deep in seriously Karajan territory. Karajan, picking his nose?
(Bub will be along shortly to tell us if this is a watch worth having)

Now, polar opposite to all that, someone not into pop classics... Visually at least, Leif Segerstam is a complete opposite. Segerstam
Harnoncourt, way outside of his original baroque territory? Boulez? Frank Zappa? No, he was more a Stravinsky sort of guy. Mick Jagger? Nigel Kennedy having a laff?

(gives up)

Gosh, that's a young Leontyne Price!

You are very close with Harnoncourt, in fact, in last weeks 'Afternoon on 3' they broadcast a performance of Ma Vlast conducted by him.

So, who is it...are you sitting down?

Roger Norrington and the London Classical Players.

I kid you not :)

in many ways, it's quite a performance, but norrington's ideology ruins things at several critical moments.

vuk.

advertisement

Back