advertisement

REGA COUPLE INTERCONNECT

Yani

pfm Member
Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone has bought this or tried it in their systems recently. Considering changing my Van Den Hul D102 for this as the connection has become a bit dodgy. I recently purchased a Saturn CDP and like it very much hence why I ask about the Couple.

One other question I have is do you think the Couple is suitable for connecting my intergrated to my power amp. Its a bi-amp set up to the speakers.

If you look in the reference section you will find instructions for making a clone of the Couple! If you're competent with a soldering iron...

... and yes it is suitable for connecting an integrated to a power for bi-amping.

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone has bought this or tried it in their systems recently. Considering changing my Van Den Hul D102 for this as the connection has become a bit dodgy. I recently purchased a Saturn CDP and like it very much hence why I ask about the Couple.

One other question I have is do you think the Couple is suitable for connecting my intergrated to my power amp. Its a bi-amp set up to the speakers.

I'd keep the D102 cable and fix/replace the connections. It will take the Profi RCA connectors used on the Rega interconnect.

They'll sound identical.

Robert thinks (or rather says) that all i/cs sound the same so bear this in mind.

The Mark Grant G1500HD has the same Nutrik Pro-fi connector.

Back to the original poster's question - yes, I tried the Couple when I borrowed the Isis for a trial from my dealer. The Couple seemed to work far better with the Rega player than with two other players that I tried, so draw your own conclusions (I'm just observing).

I have some VDH D102 and this is one of my favourites cables. Compared to Rega Couple it has more body, more full sound, more bass. Rega Couple has leaner and faster character with more prat. I am using VDH 102D between my Dac and pre and diy Rega Couple between preamp and poweramp. In this way it sounds best - for me :)

Considering changing my Van Den Hul D102 for this as the connection has become a bit dodgy.

I would suggest to resolder it, should only take a few minutes.

Any cable would be suitable and would work, just a matter of which sounds best and the only way to know that is to try and send stuff back that you dont like.

Mark.

If you look in the reference section you will find instructions for making a clone of the Couple! If you're competent with a soldering iron...

... and yes it is suitable for connecting an integrated to a power for bi-amping.

Thanks for the pointer to the reference section - ordered myself a load of the Klotz cable and some Neutriks so will have a go at making my own cables...for the first time. I'm not very experienced with a soldering iron but we'll see how it goes. :)

Oh...8m of cable and 16 plugs cost me less than 50 quid (I didn't go for the super duper Pro plugs though).

Anyone compare it to the Van den hul the first interconnect? I am also looking for a interconnect for my Saturn and am currently using the first. Wondering if the couple would work better. Any thoughts?

Anyone compare it to the Van den hul the first interconnect? I am also looking for a interconnect for my Saturn and am currently using the first. Wondering if the couple would work better. Any thoughts?

What's the problem with The First? What about it's sound are you looking to move away from?

IMHO...

VDH D102 Mk3 sounds very full in the bass and overly sweet in the treble - perfect for niceifying harsh systems. The ground connection depends on pressure from the barrell of the phono plug - not ideal and not easy to solder.

The Klotz cable is also a bit over-full sounding which probably works very well with the rather thin sound of Rega speakers.

I am currently using Musiflex is a quasi balanced configuration, this seems to be quite good sounding.

IMHO...

VDH D102 Mk3 sounds very full in the bass and overly sweet in the treble - perfect for niceifying harsh systems. The ground connection depends on pressure from the barrell of the phono plug - not ideal and not easy to solder.

The Klotz cable is also a bit over-full sounding which probably works very well with the rather thin sound of Rega speakers.

I am currently using Musiflex is a quasi balanced configuration, this seems to be quite good sounding.

The D102 MK3 exaggerates the top and bottom in interesting ways. I owed them for awhile and don't anymore. I still very much like vdH cables however and fin that the Orchid does just about everything right. Well priced and sounds great.

I use the Couple between all my Rega gear. Tomorrow when the DAC comes my old Planet will have to settle with a Chord Crimson as the Couple will assume new duty.

I'm happy with the cable. It seemed to open the sound in all directions and dimensions (and I didn't detect actual frequency extension) from the shoestring I had been using, but I'm not a cable junkie.

Well priced and sounds great.

£300!!!
Even though I am a cable believer, my engineering background would not allow me to spend this sort of money on wires, £30 seems more like the top end or reasonable.

Of course I could be missing out, although I once borrowed an LFD pre-power + their cables which I think were similar money to the VDH. The LFD preamp was very good but the cables and power amp were rather "lightweight" sounding..

advertisement

Back