advertisement

NAIM Shoebox case from AudioFlat

I can't believe that anyone would worry about the internal piece of the case being of non original finish! My main issue was with folks calling the cases "chrome bumper" when there was no chrome on the case.

Flat, please send me two cases to review and I will big them up all over everywhere. seriously, I am after two cases and the main issue is the balance in cost/looks between these cases and the similar hi-fi2000 cases.

...so all of you with bent or scratched cases and those of you wanting a high quality case for your Starfish or HackerNAP amps now have an answer.....

Might be a bit of a challenge fitting the HackerNAP in there, with three circuit boards and two transformers.

3 pcb and two traffos is the single channel.

One traffo for front end, other for main board, rectifier/smoother PCB for each traffo and then one more PCB for the main circuit.

Think 135 with two transformers.

3 pcb and two traffos is the single channel.

One traffo for front end, other for main board, rectifier/smoother PCB for each traffo and then one more PCB for the main circuit.

Think 135 with two transformers.

Time to tool up for the double-width box.

Well mine are, just checked them all.

They have to be textured part way at least because the inside is revealed at the front and back and that is textured.

I think that getting the matt finish inside was part of the later case production method used. This is what I will get them to do.

I will look inside my NAIT at work.

In any case (no pun) we are close to getting them done so all of you with bent or scratched cases and those of you wanting a high quality case for your Starfish or HackerNAP amps now have an answer.....

Came home a bit pissed last night so sorry for flying off the handle.

Will not be a good name clone if textured all inside
it could it affect the name sound

On the 29th of June I'm going to the paint finisher with my NAIM case so that they can see the real thing. They have matched the paint and texture 100%, and I MEAN 100%, it's perfect but they can't seem to grasp that the front and back as well as the inside (a little way) need a textured finish as well.
The actual case size, machining etc. is perfect. I have one on my 72 now and the feet and earth bolt holes line up spot on. It's less than a month away now people!

Both this and the RubiKon have taught me to respect all manufacturers of hi fi, production engineering just eats time and money like you would not believe. I suppose its the old 80/20 rule. Getting 80% there cost 20% of the investment, the last 20% cost 80% of the investment.

Andrew.

Well done Andrew. I can't wait to see the finished product. [Note: I sympathize with you re. time as I have just set up a Biotech company and dealing with the regulatory issues is utterly ball-breaking!].
Andrew

Andrew, As I missed the initial interest list, I'm prepared to trade one bollock (un-broken) for a couple of cases :eek:

So I went to see the paint finishers today. I took my NAC72 case and explained about how the texture needs to extend around the front and back and someway inside as well.

For their part they told me about the paint application. They first use an etch primer which is specially formulated for the top layer and has superb adhesion properties on aluminium. The top layer is applied as a thick coat and then stove dried for a specific time and temp to get the texture finish. Its entirely down to the skill of the painter as the texture is determined by the thickess of the paint. That's why even on NAIM cases there are slight variations between batches of cases. They assure me that they can keep the same finish as the samples over the 1000 case batch. This is good because the sample finish is perfect! It was nice to meet these guys and they really know what they are doing. They actually talked extensively with the paint manufacturer who remember the initial NAIM consultations and could advise on how to achieve the same finish.

Is been a long road and has cost a lot in time and money BUT in 2 months time people will be able to buy brand new cases for their NAIM shoebox kit and the cases will be 100% as the original.

Andrew.

P.S I'll post up the pricing when I get the revised quote from the supplier. We are also getting shipping boxes made just like the NAIM ones and if there is demand we could even sell those individually.

Thanks Mark.

Its been a long road but worth it I think. All those people with NAIM shoebox stuff that have damaged cases can now restore them to new.

Andrew.

advertisement

Back