advertisement

Confused about Tannoy

really thick question here ... the kensington has a 10 inch driver

• 10" highly efficient driver with 93 dB/Watt sensitivity and 500 Watt peak power handling to deliver breath-taking dynamics and realism
  • Classic Pepperpot Waveguide and Alnico motor system to deliver a sweet, natural and inherently coherent sound.

and the eaton has a 10 inch driver

• Dual Concentric driver based on famous HPD 1974 pedigree technology provides class-leading coherence and point-source imaging
  • Sophisticated crossover network with 2 separate channels perfectly complements Dual Concentric driver for truly natural sound

i am guessing the eaton does not have this classic pepperpot design as its not mentioned ??

The recent Eaton, Cheviot and Arden are IIRC based on the DMT-era driver; ceramic magnets, tulip wave-guide etc. The ‘Prestige’ range are based more on vintage ‘London Tannoys’ (everything up to HPD-era) technology of AlNiCo magnets and the ‘pepperpot’ compression horn. IIRC the less expensive ones in the Prestige range lack the AlNiCo magnets.

PS As ever with Tannoys you’ll find a lot of different opinions. If I wanted to spend £13k on a pair I’d be looking at 15” vintage Reds in Lockwood or GRF cabs, or if a small room a pair of 12” Silvers in appropriate cabs. None easy to find these days, but doable with patience and a decent long-term investment.

fab ... one day you can translate that for me as a pleb 😂
Baffle step compensation is a technique used in speaker design to correct for the loss of bass frequencies that occurs when sound waves emitted from a speaker encounter the edge of the speaker's baffle or cabinet. It involves adjusting the speaker's frequency response to compensate for this loss, typically by boosting the bass frequencies.

fab ... one day you can translate that for me as a pleb 😂
For a speaker on a baffle the higher frequencies tend to radiate into half space( ie forward) low frequencies tend to radiate omnidirectionally ie into full space and can represent a -6 dB drop in level ( under normal circumstances of use ie not free air, matters such as room boundaries conspire to limit the amount of actual reduction to only a couple of dB- if at all)
The frequency at which a loudspeaker transitions from half to full space radiation is dictated by the width of the baffle.

Last edited:
For a speaker on a baffle the higher frequencies tend to radiate into half space( ie forward) low frequencies tent to radiate omnidirectionally ie into full space and can represent a -6 dB drop in level ( under normal circumstances of use ie not free air, matters such as room boundaries conspire to limit the amount of actual reduction to only a couple of dB- if at all)
The frequency at which a loudspeaker transitions from half to full space radiation is dictated by the width of the baffle.

To bring that to its logical conclusion, does that mean that narrower speakers with narrower baffles have lower frequency transition points? Or is it the other way around for wider speakers with wider baffles?

Specifically, would narrower Eatons have lower transition points than wider Eatons? Or is it the other way around?

To bring that to its logical conclusion, does that mean that narrower speakers with narrower baffles have lower frequency transition points? Or is it the other way around for wider speakers with wider baffles?

Specifically, would narrower Eatons have lower transition points than wider Eatons? Or is it the other way around?
The narrower the baffle, the higher the frequency at which the transition from forward radiation to omnidirectional radiation occurs. So, in theory with all else being equal, the loss would be more noticeable in narrower Eatons with slightly more leanness in the lower midrange/upper bass region compared to a wider baffle Eaton. How audible this would be when the enclosures are placed against a wall I'm not sure, but wide-baffle, shallow enclosures have the added advantage of being able to have the baffle located closer to the wall than narrow-baffle, deep enclosures, which compounds the effect we're describing.

The narrower the baffle, the higher the frequency at which the transition from forward radiation to omnidirectional radiation occurs. So, in theory with all else being equal, the loss would be more noticeable in narrower Eatons with slightly more leanness in the lower midrange/upper bass region compared to a wider baffle Eaton. How audible this would be when the enclosures are placed against a wall I'm not sure, but wide-baffle, shallow enclosures have the added advantage of being able to have the baffle located closer to the wall than narrow-baffle, deep enclosures, which compounds the effect we're describing.

Brilliant 👍

Have to say playing the Flaming lips via qobuz on the eatons legacy sounds so stunningly good that it reduces any desire to change to Fyne !!! Pretty damm good !!!

advertisement

Back