advertisement

Blu-Ray player as CD transport.

yes i believe that is correct . i cannot output my sacd player into my dac with sacds
Cheers - that's useful as it's stopped me from trying all the other DACS I have.

The SACD output via the anologues is quite quiet with the player I have. Comparing it to a normal CD via the DAC (which is using a balanced connection) then it's quite a big difference 10 via the DAC, 50 via the analogues to get the same sound level. The analogues were quieter even with a CD (the balanced output is way louder than via RCA) but not as much as this. Sounds fine though.

Just tried the Simaudio DAC and it also doesn't pick up a digital output when an SACD is being played. Maybe the Sony player doesn't output to digital with SACD's?
SACD players do not output DSD (the format of SACD) as this was an original part of the SACD specification. Some players will perform a conversion to PCM. In general, do not expect a digital out from a SACD player when playing SACDs.

There are some exceptions, but these tend to be from manufacturers that use proprietary formats to output the DSD content from transports to DACs; dCS for example.

Something to note; some Sony Blu Ray players will output DSD over HDMI. This is how I play SACDs through my Moon 390 as that has HDMI inputs that accept DSD64.

And some Sony blu-ray players output SACD audio via digital coax, albeit downsampled to 44 or 48khz. This is what my Sony UHP-1 does.

You can also use an HDMI de-embedder if your player supports HDMI and your DAC doesn't. A de-embedder separates the audio and outputs via TOSLINK or SPDIF.

@SteveG
As I understand it, the SACD standards forbid the players from outputting the (undownsampled) digital signal from the DSD layer, so you generally get the 44kHz digital from the CD layer or a downsampling of the DSD layer if using coal, tousling etc. The idea being to stop people from ripping the high res DSD from the discs.

This is why I ripped my SACDs to DSD using my 1st generation CXU. Even if it is a bit time-consuming, it's worth it considering the cost of a suitable transport to add to my DAC and the limited number of SACDs in my collection.

Yes I couldn’t play a SACD via my DAC.

I had a LG Bluray player and that outputted CD at 44.1 to my DAC. Not all players sound the same though as although it was very good, my Oppo UDP203 is definitely better via the same DAC.

Interestingly, my Pioneer BDP-450 Blu-ray player actually outputs 88.2kHz through the coax socket when given an SA-CD.

Frankly, given how much of a niche it's always been, it's a joke that Sony didn't just take the brakes off and allow DSD through DoP on devices. It's not as if they've given two funks about it since about 2003...

Just out of interest, tried the HDMI out from the BR , into the I2S on the DAC.
Doesn't work.
Same cable but differnt outputs.

Just out of interest, tried the HDMI out from the BR , into the I2S on the DAC.
Doesn't work.
Same cable but differnt outputs.
Very few transports have an I2S and no blu ray players, as far as I'm aware. I also think that there is no 'standard' for I2S. It is designed to be a communication protocol over very short distances (i.e. internal). I2S as a transport out method is just another current fad that will disappear over time.

advertisement

Back